FOFC Werewolf Forum for Out of Game Players

Title explains all


    Game of Thrones

    Share

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Fri May 31, 2013 5:50 am

    So much to say, where do we start?

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Fri May 31, 2013 6:07 am

    First off, my biggest regret is not getting to use my special ability. Once per game I could send Ramsey out to torture someone and figure out their secrets or just have him do a straight assassination attempt. If he was observed, I would've taken an honor hit and been liable for criminal charges, but of course, what does that matter to a Bolton who was already an Enemy of the Realm?

    I wanted to hold onto this ability as long as possible to use at a critical moment, as Stannis obviously used Melisandre's ability (which I imagine is just a one-time use). There was also the chance I might've needed it if I had to leave House Stark for some reason.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Fri May 31, 2013 6:10 am

    I'm not sure if Varys or the Lannisters were spreading misinformation, but House Stark did not have a long-term deal in place with Stannis as far as I knew. We met him the first day, but we didn't have a more firm agreement with him than anyone else. I recall Robb Stark saying that Stannis claimed he would keep faith with us if we did with him after the Lannisters went down, but his assumption (and mine) was that he was saying the same thing to Renly.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Fri May 31, 2013 6:17 am

    More news that might surprise some people. Early yesterday, as I was composing a letter to Stannis, I realized that this would be the ideal time for Stark to betray Stannis since Stannis couldn't back out of the war, the idea being that after yesterday, we would have to vote for each other's bannermen anyway and court favor with the remaining kings for their votes. So we were going to claim to Stannis that we would enter the war on Stannis' side, but in reality just sit it out and vote for a Stannis bannerman at the last minute, figuring that Renly would probably win the war and we could spend a couple days voting for Stannis bannermen as Enemies. The Melisandre kill was perfectly timed by Stannis though, as we figured Renly wouldn't win the war without Loras and thus it was more in our interests to remain sided with Stannis as a result.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Fri May 31, 2013 8:28 am

    One of the last communications I had with King Robb was to tell him a response I got from Renly (who I PM'ed just before deadline) that if things don't go well for him in the war, he had the option bend the knee to Robb Stark. Renly mentioned that he would be more apt to do that than another alternative. I think that if I were still alive, I would counsel him to see if he would do so now, and both he and Brienne could continue to be in the same House together with the Starks (and with Darth as Enemy, he could be arrested and put to death if he didn't flee so he wouldn't aid another House after Renly surrendered). Robb and I also had feelers out to Joffrey and Tywin, but considering my death and Theon fleeing, while on one hand it opens up some bannermen slots for the Starks, there's also more risk in being a Stark bannerman at war.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Fri May 31, 2013 10:35 am

    A big behind the scenes moment for myself (though you can read the actual discussion / offer being made in the Lannister thread): the Lannisters approached me the night where everyone had an Enemy of the Realm in their midst (and the Stark one was myself) and offered me 20k gold + Harrenhal + Warden of the North (when Robb was finally beaten) to join them. I gave it some serious consideration and in the end, I figured I would take the risk to do it only with Robb's blessing and the understanding that I would be a spy for him. The humorous part for me is reading the Lannister thread post-death and apparently the Lannisters had a similar agreement in place with The Mountain to spy on their behalf. I figured with Robb's blessing, I would put myself in a somewhat dangerous but possibly workable (and fun) condition where I could go with whichever of the two Houses appeared to be doing better. I didn't want to go without Robb's permission because he had promised retribution if I betrayed him and that, along with the possibility that I could've been picked up by one of the Baratheons, that I couldn't guarantee this wasn't a ploy by Joffrey to behead me to put Stark at a disadvantage, that I would've been in a faction that was being ganged up on by the other three, and that I would've lost 5k men made it seem like too risky a play. I knew Stark needed me to some degree as I was his top advisor, and the Baratheon argument from the previous day made it seem like House Stark was in a pretty decent position politically, and admittedly I was having fun plotting with Coffee who was super active made staying a not too difficult choice when he decided he wasn't excited about the idea of me spying for him. I will do a bit of 'what if' wondering, but I think I made the prudent choice in that situation as Roose Bolton bided his time until the right moment. After I was killed last night, hoops informed me he was planning to assassinate me for spurning his offer at some later point in the game, so maybe in the end there was not much I could do to avoid the baleful eye of a powerful player.

    bhlloy

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2011-08-11

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by bhlloy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:04 am

    Heh, so checking in on this. I strongly advised Zinto to side with Stannis and the Starks and he agreed, which was why I was so surprised in thread to end up on the other team. My death was essentially part of my role as far as I can tell, I wouldn't let Brienne die a dishonorable death so when she came up it was martyred to me.

    I should have fled when I was enemy of the realm, the Lannisters were a target and I didn't agree with most of the way we had played the game. Oh well, live and learn. I figured in the story so far there's no way Jaime would leave his son and his father and flee to Stannis, so that made me think twice.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:52 am

    I thought it was possible you guys might do it as a risky attempt to change the game's direction. Had you won, you would've had a solid ally in Renly and a chance to capture a bannerman which could've turned things around for House Lannister. You guys also had the fewest bannermen in the fight so you had the least to risk in that regard, but got an unlucky roll there.

    Alan T

    Posts : 1
    Join date : 2013-05-31

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Alan T on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 am

    I don't know what Cersei's goal is to "win" in this game, but she's been entertaining me with the constant venom being spewed at everyone Smile

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:24 pm

    So I'm bummed to die this evening, as I was preparing for a double assassination tomorrow. I was going to issue one (I had the money) once we declared war and I had sent enough money to Cersei to help her run a second assassination. If she had in fact kept true to what she was telling me in PMs (promote House Lannister interests, even if Joffrey wasn't winning) then that would have been a fun turn of events heading into a battle.

    Oh well, I suspect players will be falling very rapidly at this point. Wars will continue thinning the herd, only so many places to vote, etc.

    So I got word on who pulled the trigger on the Melissandre assassination, if people want me to pass that along ...

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:31 pm

    One thing we contemplated today was calling war on Joffrey. No strategic advantage in that target, other than keeping attacks off our doorstep and attacking someone less likely to mobilize troops against us. Any land acquired would have been a bonus.

    However, the rules of "bannerman will die in battle" and Joffrey having no bannermen was enough to deter us on that action. Then Robb and I had not purchased mercs early enough in the day for them to be in play if Stannis did actually engage in battle where we planned to attack (naval site) ... all in all, lousy day for House Stark.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:45 pm

    hoopsguy wrote:So I'm bummed to die this evening, as I was preparing for a double assassination tomorrow. I was going to issue one (I had the money) once we declared war and I had sent enough money to Cersei to help her run a second assassination. If she had in fact kept true to what she was telling me in PMs (promote House Lannister interests, even if Joffrey wasn't winning) then that would have been a fun turn of events heading into a battle.

    Oh well, I suspect players will be falling very rapidly at this point. Wars will continue thinning the herd, only so many places to vote, etc.

    So I got word on who pulled the trigger on the Melissandre assassination, if people want me to pass that along ...

    That's a bummer. I figured you must have some decent money and was hoping you'd take down one of the Favored of the Realm folks since they couldn't be voted out (which makes me somewhat surprised you were a target).

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:47 pm

    hoopsguy wrote:One thing we contemplated today was calling war on Joffrey. No strategic advantage in that target, other than keeping attacks off our doorstep and attacking someone less likely to mobilize troops against us. Any land acquired would have been a bonus.

    However, the rules of "bannerman will die in battle" and Joffrey having no bannermen was enough to deter us on that action. Then Robb and I had not purchased mercs early enough in the day for them to be in play if Stannis did actually engage in battle where we planned to attack (naval site) ... all in all, lousy day for House Stark.

    I was thinking that would be the way to go actually. It doesn't seem likely he would've met you at King's Landing, so he probably would've fled and left you occupying one of the best lands left. Then I would suspect other folks would be more apt to fight with the Starks tomorrow for a chance of capturing Joffrey and making him bend the knee to them (which you guys could've done if you had won the war).

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

    Admin wrote:
    hoopsguy wrote:So I'm bummed to die this evening, as I was preparing for a double assassination tomorrow. I was going to issue one (I had the money) once we declared war and I had sent enough money to Cersei to help her run a second assassination. If she had in fact kept true to what she was telling me in PMs (promote House Lannister interests, even if Joffrey wasn't winning) then that would have been a fun turn of events heading into a battle.

    Oh well, I suspect players will be falling very rapidly at this point. Wars will continue thinning the herd, only so many places to vote, etc.

    So I got word on who pulled the trigger on the Melissandre assassination, if people want me to pass that along ...

    That's a bummer. I figured you must have some decent money and was hoping you'd take down one of the Favored of the Realm folks since they couldn't be voted out (which makes me somewhat surprised you were a target).

    Yes, I guess that is why I (mistakenly) felt relatively safe - I could just be voted out if someone needed to get me. Assassinating me just transferred my cash to Robb.

    That makes me wonder if the assassination came from one of the neutrals, as I suspect they were less obsessed over votes.

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:23 pm

    Admin wrote:
    hoopsguy wrote:One thing we contemplated today was calling war on Joffrey. No strategic advantage in that target, other than keeping attacks off our doorstep and attacking someone less likely to mobilize troops against us. Any land acquired would have been a bonus.

    However, the rules of "bannerman will die in battle" and Joffrey having no bannermen was enough to deter us on that action. Then Robb and I had not purchased mercs early enough in the day for them to be in play if Stannis did actually engage in battle where we planned to attack (naval site) ... all in all, lousy day for House Stark.

    I was thinking that would be the way to go actually. It doesn't seem likely he would've met you at King's Landing, so he probably would've fled and left you occupying one of the best lands left. Then I would suspect other folks would be more apt to fight with the Starks tomorrow for a chance of capturing Joffrey and making him bend the knee to them (which you guys could've done if you had won the war).

    We asked questions about what would happen fighting a king without bannerman, and Chief wasn't willing to give much info ... so it felt like a risk if there wasn't some "bend knee" reward going along with "lose bannerman" risk.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 pm

    Huh, that's strange. I specifically asked Chief if a king with no bannermen could be killed or captured in a war, and I was told they couldn't be killed, but they could be captured.

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:09 pm

    Admin wrote:Huh, that's strange. I specifically asked Chief if a king with no bannermen could be killed or captured in a war, and I was told they couldn't be killed, but they could be captured.

    Would have been good if Coffee Warlord had recalled that info Smile

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm

    Also, from what I understand path had agreed earlier to vote for clap instead of one of Robb's men. Oops. Very bad day for House Stark.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:17 pm

    Yeah, from a military point of view, joining with path was a great move. Politically, the fallout wasn't too hot as you've now got the 'Renly-Greyjoy alliance' and the Stannis 'Anyone but Robb' faction. There may not have been much to do about it though, I can't imagine Stannis would have supported Robb indefinitely so this moment was apt to happen soon enough. Your assassination and the wartime death of his other two Hands didn't help either.

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 pm

    Admin wrote:Yeah, from a military point of view, joining with path was a great move. Politically, the fallout wasn't too hot as you've now got the 'Renly-Greyjoy alliance' and the Stannis 'Anyone but Robb' faction. There may not have been much to do about it though, I can't imagine Stannis would have supported Robb indefinitely so this moment was apt to happen soon enough. Your assassination and the wartime death of his other two Hands didn't help either.

    For what it is worth, I thought we should have gone with Stannis in that battle. But I completely understood why he went the other direction ... just did not think it was the "safe" play in terms of final two.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

    So we're down to 5 kings, 4 bannermen, and 2 neutrals that presumably can become bannermen (I'm assuming that's not true for Cersei and Varys).

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:10 am

    Yeah, I'm not going to be thrilled if none of the kings bend the knee and we just see a "battle royale" at the end. Especially after Chief's public clarification the other day, knowing that we could have gone and captured Joffrey. 

    First point - I just don't think that is the way that the game should play out.
    Second point - pretty sure CW and I would have acted differently with that information in hand, which may have prevented the game from playing out that way.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 pm

    I wish Coffee would give some of his stack of gold to some neutrals to assassinate another king or two.  That would help clear things up.

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:45 pm

    Admin wrote:I wish Coffee would give some of his stack of gold to some neutrals to assassinate another king or two.  That would help clear things up.

    Cersei should be able to run one soon, if she were so inclined.
    I'm not positive that assassins work against kings. I was planning to blow through the "favored of the land" with mine.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:03 pm

    I'm sure they will work on kings other than Robb.  I believe Brienne's ability was to prevent Renly from being assassinated while she was alive.  I doubt any of the other king's remaining bannermen have such an ability.  

    Cersei is probably waiting to see where her son ends up before deciding on a target.  I'm surprised Littlefinger hasn't taken matters into his own hands, but he may be trying to figure that out as well.

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 pm

    Wish Selmy - who is supposed to have some bodyguard abilities - had done something to stop me from being snuffed. Harrumph.

    Also, just to clarify something from earlier - I don't think I'M particularly baleful, but if I'm playing Tywin Lannister I can't allow my offer to be refused without consequences Smile

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 pm

    Now with today's results, gold is completely pointless.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:45 pm

    Hopefully something will be done soon.  We're kind of stuck with no king wanting to give up their invulnerability and no king able to go to war without the others piling up to stop them.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:50 pm

    There's actually no reason for Coffee not to declare war every other day.  He takes away production of one of their best lands for a day and takes an honor hit when he retreats that he can easily pay off.

    hoopsguy

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-06-08

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by hoopsguy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:10 pm

    Yep, I think Chief Rum is running into a lot of gameplay that he probably did not quite work through correctly in his head when visualizing the game.

    Time for him to figure out the Myraneese knot ...

    fontisian

    Posts : 8
    Join date : 2013-02-12

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by fontisian on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 pm

    Admin wrote:I believe Brienne's ability was to prevent Renly from being assassinated while she was alive. 


    Correct.  Not that it matters now, but people really should have tried assassinating a king.

    One thing is bothering me:
    HIRE A FACELESS MAN (250000)  This is the mother of all services. It can only be used once in the entire game, first come, first serve. This assassin will succeed, guaranteed. And he can be used on anyone.
    I did not expect Barristan Selmy to be able to block a faceless man when Chief explicitly stated that he would succeed.

    I'm also wondering why people are considering bending the knee.  With assassins out of the game, kings really have no way to die unless they bend the knee.  Fighting back and hoping to not get captured seems like the better bet.

    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 282
    Join date : 2011-06-06

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Admin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:13 am

    The assassination was successful.  Someone was killed, the target just ended up being protected.

    I strongly agree about what you said regarding assassinating a king.  If Robb loses, it will be because he didn't have his bannermen run assassination attempts for him on the other kings (and possibly not siding with Stannis in the last war).

    Sponsored content

    Re: Game of Thrones

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 am